Links

Friday 1 March 2013

Ball's Falls Conservation Area (Jordan)

Lower Falls (in the Fall)
Ball's Falls is a part of the UNESCO bio reserve that offers visitors a range of experiences, including trails, waterfalls, a historic village, wedding venues and an innovative Centre for Conservation. This historical cite is one of the Niagara Region's earliest settlements dating back to the early 19th century and has evidence of being a rich source of resources that dates back 2000 years.

The historic village will take you back to life in the early 19th century, with a blacksmith shop, display barn, church and more. As the map outlines, take a 20 minute hike to the Upper Falls (the smaller of the two) via the Cataract Trail or a shorter walk through the historic Village to view the Lower Falls.

The gorge that runs along Twenty Mile Creek is a site to see with colourful shale and sandstone layers. Like many provincial parks and conservation areas in Ontario, Ball's Falls connects to the Bruce Trail. Entrance to the park is $4 per person and is necessary if you drive there.
Upper Falls running through Twenty Mile Creek


I visited Ball's Falls for the first time on a winter day and the flow of the waterfall was massive. It appears it is quite different in the summer and fall, so be sure to explore in a variety of seasons.

While in the area, explore the many things the Niagara Region has to offer. Check out Rediscover Niagara for more ideas, including the Comfort Maple Tree, just 15 minutes away from Ball's Falls.

8 comments:

  1. I love hiking, but every year I forget about Ball's Falls. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Balls Falls is one of my favourite hiking areas! Once I was greeted by a roaring falls, and another time the upper falls was completely dried up and I could walk over its top... it really is different depending on the time of year and how much rain we've had. I find the trail of Balls Falls a little flat, though, so I often park on Glen Rd. off of 19th and hike through 20 Valley to Balls Falls. It adds more time and gives a better work out. Those dirt stairs are killer when you're out of shape

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures you provided. Sounds like a good trail to hike any time of the year. looks like I will have a spot to try my camera. Hopefully the weather gets a little nicer so i can take a hike and a few pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to visit, and I've got more reason now. Thanks Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will definitely have to visit this area. Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Balls Falls is my favourite place to hike in Niagara. It has so much to offer and during the thanksgiving weekend the conservation area hosts a popluar craft show where volunteers dress up like pioneers and make the historic village come to life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Balls Falls! Such a great place to hike! In the summer my friends and I bring a mini bbq down by the water and make a cute little picnic/tanning day out of it! haha I'm not sure if that's allowed or not, but its a ton of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is definitely one of my favourite places to hike, not only is it beautiful but it is normally very peaceful and quiet as well.

    ReplyDelete