Links

Saturday 9 March 2013

Woodend Conservation Area (Niagara-on-the-Lake)

Woodend Conservation Area is located on top of the escarpment, just a few steps away from the Niagara-on-the-Lake campus of Niagara College. It is an important historical site for the Niagara Region; after the United Empire Loyalist family of Peter Lampman fleld New York State in 1779, they received a grant for the 650-hector piece of land. It was also considered an observation point during the War of 1812, as the Queenston Heights battle, Beaver Dams battle and Lundy's Lane battle took place just miles away.

Currently, there is a small village area owned by the Niagara District School Board, which will soon be revitalized into an innovated environmental centre called the Woodend Living Campus. 

There are several hiking loops to choose from, which all take you through forest trails that wander the top of the escarpment. You will also enjoy a nice view of the Niagara College vineyards and orchards on the flat plain below and perhaps some interesting surprises on the way - I ran into several wooden tipi forts throughout the trail. This area seems abandoned in the winter season, but once spring and summer arrive and the environmental centre opens, I imagines it will soon be a popular place for student field trips, family picnics and hiking adventures!

6 comments:

  1. My elementary school used to bring us here every year for class trips - I don't think that's where my love of nature comes from, but I do recollect them fondly (now).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to go on trips here all the time in my elementary school too! I loved it so much as a kid. I haven't been in so long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this suggestion. I love hiking and enjoy finding new, beautiful places to explore. This blog is a great resource for hikers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen! Your blog posts read like a complete guide to all the spots I once frequented in order to partake in unsavoury adolescent activities. (Take that however you'd like.) Reading your blog was like a stroll down the dusty, oftentimes cloudy, memory lanes of my youth... thanks for bringing back the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't even know Niagara has so many amazing places I can explore! Thank you for these useful information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to go on class trips to Woodend in elementary school too!! I loved that place, they always had really neat nature-related activities planned.

    ReplyDelete