Links

Thursday 21 February 2013

The Benefits of Hiking (Top 10)

Why walk? The simple step-taking activity that we do on a daily basis can prove to be highly beneficial for your mental and physical health! Yes, I'm sure this is common knowledge to us, however many people take for granted how effective walking can be for your health. I compiled a top 10 list of the benefits of hiking based on Doctor Oz, Doctor Roizen and HikeOntario.com

John Muir - the founder of the Sierra Club says, "Walking yields a greater closeness to the earth, an independence. The solid thud of boots on the path means freedom to stop and admire a flower, to move at one's own speed, to rejoice in crossing a stream on risky stepping-stones to explore the off the trail, to get a close-up of the du jeweling the grass."

Top 10 Benefits of Walking 
1. Improve fitness
2. Refresh the mind
3. Reduce fatigue
4. Increase energy and happiness
5. Natural movement that is virtually injury free (good for any age and physical capability)
6. Provides an enjoyable time for socializing with friends and family
7. It's cheap (if not free!)
8. Reduces blood pressure and improves digestion
9. A closeness and appreciation to nature
10. It's fun!

A healthy lifestyle is a happy lifestyle, check out these blogs to further your quality of life!
http://befithealthyhappy.blogspot.ca/ - Fitness Blog
http://alanatoner.blogspot.ca/ - Yoga Blog


4 comments:

  1. Hiking is honestly my favourite exercise - mainly for the closeness to nature. I love exploring new trails as well. It's as close to adventuring as you can get in these parts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never liked running......so I try to walk as much as I can to stay fit. This post reminds me of all the benefits of going for a walk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love taking my dogs on a good hike! It truly does soothe the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my boyfriend and I just started hiking around our house and its been so great and not as exhausting as i had initially thought!

    ReplyDelete