Links

Sunday 20 January 2013

Glenridge Quarry Naturalization Site (St. Catharines)



 For my first post I would like to offer something close to home. As a recent Brock University grad and a current Niagara College student, the Glenridge Quarry (located directly across the street from Brock University) is a perfect example of something often ignored by local Brock students. If you are looking for a great place to jog, take the dog for a walk, or simply take a brief study break to get some fresh air, visit the Glenridge Quarry.

Environmental Initiative:
The Glenridge Quarry Naturalization site was one of Ontario’s first comprehensive “Green Sites”. It was once a municipal landfill site that has been covered up and turned into a wildlife habitat and environmental education and recreation site. 

About the Trails:

Large Clay Borrow Pit Pond
There are 7 loops up to 2 km long. If you are looking for something with more terrain, walk to the Summit Overlook to get a nice view of St. Catharines. The Large Clay Borrow Pit Pond includes a beautiful boardwalk. There is also a Children’s Science and Nature Area with games and a small playground and a picnic area with picnic tables. 



3 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I am one who certainly did not appreciate the beauty of the Niagara Region until I left to go away for school. Now that I'm back, hiking is one of my favourite activities. I actually haven't been to the Glenridge Quarry site, but now I'm hoping to! I can't wait to see what else I've been missing. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered this place in my third year at Brock. Like you said its an amazing trail for walking or running and its literally right in Brock's 'back yard.' The scenery is also great when you get to the lake. I can't wait to read more on your hiking adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a great topic for a blog! Such a good way to inspire people (like me) to get outside and enjoy the beautiful scenery that we are privileged to have around here. I'm looking forward to learning about some cool places I've missed out on.

    ReplyDelete